Self-Introduction

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

I am writing to introduce myself. My name is Shakir Hamid. I am pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I graduated with a Technical Engineer Diploma in Machine Technology in 2022 from the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) College Central.  

I am a member of the Singapore Taekwondo Federation (STF), and my hobbies include running and swimming. During my free time, I will help my father with tasks like fixing shelves and doing electrical wiring. This has slowly developed my interest in engineering.

I also enjoy travelling with my family, and we have visited countries like Turkey and China. This sparked my interest in aeroplanes and learning about them, which led me to pursue a NITEC in Aerospace Machining Technology.

I can communicate well in smaller groups, but I am not able to speak well in larger groups. My weakness is giving presentations in front of large audiences, as I often find it difficult to capture their attention. 

My goal for this module is to improve my communication and presentation skills so that I can comfortably give presentations in front of large groups and effectively grasp the attention of my audience.

What makes me unique is that I have a positive outlook on life, and nothing dampens my spirits. While I may be a slow learner, I can pick things up with time.

I chose to be an engineer as I get to work on projects that can benefit the society. As said by Dr Cameron Harrington, an Assistant Professor in International Relations at the School of Government, and International Affairs at Durham University, “Engineers rule the world”, we manage anything from powering the world to aiding people in the medical industry by making prosthetics. I aspire to contribute to a world where we make a difference.

 Yours Sincerely,

Shakir Hamid

Comments

  1. Hi Shakir, you have really cool hobbies and I find those activities enjoyable as well! I hope you can achieve your goals for the module. It is really thoughtful of you to be an engineer to benefit the society!

    On a side note, you could have described how you are able to communicate well in a small group; your strengths that allow you to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shakir! Great things often comes from small beginnings. You have a very noble goal and I believe you'll achieve it once you set your sights on it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shakir, great letter of introduction. I like that you have listed some of your interests that led you on the path to becoming an engineer. I look forward to working with you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shakir,

    Thank you very much for this well organized and informative letter. You address the key points and elaborate with very good detail. I'm impressed by a couple things. First, I can vividly imagine you helping out your dad, which you said encouraged you to have an interest in engineering, and that brought back my own memoires of helping my father. What a sweet image.

    At the same time, I appreciate your developing sense of the part that engineers play in society.
    It's cool that you end this with a relevant quote.

    If there is anything to work on in a 2nd draft it might be the overuse of capital letters.

    Thanks again for the fine introduction.

    I look forward to learning more about you in the next couple months.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The interpretation

Initial Research Pathway